The news that broke late Saturday night about Yankees pitcher Joba Chamberlain's arrest for driving under the influence must have made general manager Brian Cashman want to reach for something stronger than Diet Coke.
As long as Cashman didn't get behind the wheel after that, more power to him. We're all adults here. Prohibition ended in 1933.
And Joba Chamberlain is innocent until proven guilty. But his arrest in his hometown on Lincoln, Neb., early Saturday morning, and the hours he spent in the Cornhusker Place Detox center -- Lincoln's version of a drunk tank -- had to send shivers up the Yankees' decision-makers' spines. (Source)
Late in the season, Pettitte intimated that he would like to pitch in 2009, though he said he had not made up his mind. ESPN.com's Buster Olney reported Wednesday that Pettitte has told the Yankees he wants to return, which is believed to be accurate. Pettitte's agent, Randy Hendricks, did not return e-mail and phone messages.
Chamberlain and Pettitte would be the only likely locks to join Chien-Ming Wang, who is expected to be back from a torn Lisfranc ligament. Mike Mussina is leaning toward retirement. The Yankees will pursue top free agent CC Sabathia hard and also are believed to have interest in free agents Derek Lowe, Ben Sheets and A.J. Burnett. They also might go after trade target Jake Peavy of the Padres, though he reportedly is not a fan of New York City, and free-agent first baseman Mark Teixeira.
Third-base coach Bobby Meacham and special pitching instructor Rich Monteleone were fired Tuesday by the New York Yankees.
Meacham spent six seasons as a player with the Yankees and was hired last November when Joe Girardi replaced Joe Torre as manager. Meacham had been Girardi's third-base coach with Florida in 2006, then was first-base coach with San Diego in 2007.
Meacham, who took over from Larry Bowa, is close to Girardi, and his departure is a sign general manager Brian Cashman pushed for change following a third-place finish that ended the Yankees' streak of consecutive playoff appearances at 13.
Oh boy. A home run ball from Jose Molina. Does anyone really care that it was the last one? We will see. As for Molina, this might be the first thing anyone has ever wanted of his.
Steve Harshman spent about a week soliciting advice on whether to sell the final home run baseball at Yankee Stadium, which he snagged on Sept. 21. When he decided to unload it, Harshman handed over the details to an attorney, then went back to being a husband and father and a Natrona County High School physical education teacher and the school's head football coach.
Harshman's ball -- hit by Yankees backup catcher Jose Molina in the fourth inning of New York's 7-3 win over Baltimore -- will be up for auction Saturday, when Guernsey's auction house of New York will conduct a Yankee Stadium memorabilia sale at Madison Square Garden.
"I think most people view the closing of a stadium as much more than the closing of a building," he said. "The names of Mantle and Gehring and Ruth and DiMaggio and the great teams they played against are gone now. This is the final glory, the final moment."
The pricing of memorable home run balls has been unpredictable since 1998. That year, the first home run ball in Yankee Stadium history -- smacked by Babe Ruth -- went for a then-record $126,000 to an anonymous bidder. A year later, Todd McFarlane, creator of the "Spawn" character, paid $3 million for Mark McGwire's single-season-record 70th home run ball. Last year, fashion designer Marc Ecko purchased Barry Bonds' career-record 756th home run ball for just more than $750,000. (Source)
When Bobby Abreu drove in his 100th run on Sept. 26 at Boston, the outfielder had the baseball rolled into the dugout by the Red Sox, even though an eighth-inning sacrifice fly had little impact on an eventual 19-8 Yankees victory.
Destined for Abreu's trophy shelf, the deep fly ball represented an accomplishment Abreu takes pride in -- his consistency. Having collected 100 RBIs in six straight seasons, the free agent-to-be believes he has stated his case for what he can offer the Yankees upon a potential return.
"I've played here two years and two months, and I think they can see what kind of player that I am," Abreu said recently. "I haven't changed anything. I just do my things. I put my numbers every year there and I do my job like a third hitter. I'm not trying to do more than I've been doing, just always be the same. I think I've been doing good the last two years and two months." (Source)
Plans for a closing ceremony at Yankee Stadium have been scrapped.
The team had discussed organizing an event on the weekend of Nov. 8-9 that would have included remembrances of many of the non-baseball events at the 85-year-old ballpark, such as football and boxing.
“The Yankees were considering having a charitable event at Yankee Stadium for BAT (Baseball Assistance Team), however, the Yankees realized that the final event at Yankee Stadium should be a baseball game, which in fact took place on Sept. 21,” spokesman Howard Rubenstein said today. “Accordingly, rather than having a fund-raiser, the Yankees will be donating $500,000 to BAT.”
Paul McCartney and Bruce Springsteen were among the artists the Yankees had reportedly sought for the event.
New York is scheduled to move into a $1.3 billion new Yankee Stadium, with the first home game April 16 against Cleveland.
New York, NY (Sports Network) - New York Yankees star closer Mariano Rivera will undergo arthroscopic surgery on his sore right shoulder next Tuesday, the team announced Friday.
The 38-year-old pitched through discomfort throughout the 2008 campaign but was still dominant, converting 39-of-40 save opportunities and compiling a 6-5 record with a team-best 1.40 earned-run average.
After tests taken on Rivera's shoulder revealed inflammation and calcification, the reliever opted for surgery rather than a series of periodic cortisone injections. (Source)
Less than two days after their season came to an end, the Yankees resolved one of their biggest questions by re-signing general manager Brian Cashman to a three-year contract.
The contract extension was first reported on Newsday.com, and announced later yesterday afternoon by the Yankees.
Yankees co-chairmen Hal and Hank Steinbrenner - who don't agree with one another on much - had both publicly stated that they wanted Cashman to return as general manager. That support did not waver even as the Yankees missed the playoffs for the first time in Cashman's 11-year tenure and the first time since 1993. It was Cashman, 41, who was not sure if he wanted to return.
Yet yesterday afternoon, Cashman and Hal Steinbrenner were able to come to agreement on a contract extension that will keep Cashman as Yankees GM and senior vice-president through 2011. The exact terms of the deal were not disclosed, but a Yankees source said it is for slightly more than the three-year, $5.5-million contract Cashman has been working under, and in the vicinity of three years and $6 million. (Source)